The Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences (Biology Education) is designed to prepare students to teach in grades 7-12. Students receive professional education courses and experiences for preparation to teach at the middle and high school levels. The Biological Sciences (Biology Education) program is designed to provide biological science content and pedagogy courses that require field experiences in middle and high schools, as well as opportunities to master content area pedagogy. The degree satisfies teacher licensure requirements in the state of Mississippi for Biology in grades 7-12. This program is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation. Biological Sciences (Biology Education) majors work closely with a faculty advisor to tailor course selections to fit their specific career goals.
Biological Sciences (Biology Education) BS Degree Requirements (123 hours)
Biological Sciences (Biology Education) BS Semester Guide
Availability: Gulf Park Campus and Hattiesburg Campus
Admission Requirements: See University Admission Policies
Teacher Education Program Requirements: See Teacher Education Program Requirements
Program Academic Policies and Requirements:
- See University Academic Policies and Requirements
- Coursework taken within the area of biological sciences can be applied to only one major.
- Students seeking a second baccalaureate in biological sciences typically complete the same course requirements as do students seeking the first baccalaureate. These courses include the major area of study requirements, the additional requirements, the upper-level writing-intensive course, and the calculus competency. Students must meet with the school director to finalize specific degree requirements during the first semester of seeking the second baccalaureate.
- See Teacher Education Program Requirements
- A student’s choice of degree program and curriculum should be determined in consultation with an advisor.
Licensure Requirements: This program is designed to meet the licensure requirements of the State of Mississippi Department of Education. Students who plan to complete this program should consult the Teacher Education Program Requirements for program admission, progression, and teacher candidacy requirements.