The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi is a community of engaged citizens, operating as a public, student-centered, doctoral-granting research university serving Mississippi, the nation, and the world. The University is dedicated to scholarship and learning, integrating students at all levels in the creation and application of knowledge through excellence in teaching, research, creative activities, outreach, and service. The University nurtures student success by providing distinctive and competitive educational programs embedded in a welcoming environment, preparing a diverse student population to embark on meaningful life endeavors.
The University of Southern Mississippi aspires to be a model student-centered public research university that prepares students to thrive in a global society by providing high quality programs and transformative experiences in a community distinguished by inclusiveness.
The mission of the institution is supported by the following values:
- Research and instructional excellence focused on student success at all teaching sites and through campus-based and distance education
- Student engagement that fosters personal growth, professional development, and a lifelong commitment to wellness
- An inclusive community that embraces the diversity of people and ideas
- Institutional governance that respects academic freedom and faculty inclusion
- A campus culture characterized by warmth and mutually-supportive connections among students, faculty, staff, and alumni
- An approach to academics, research, and personal conduct based on integrity and civility
- An evolving curriculum that fosters lifelong curiosity and critical thinking
- Community participation that promotes social responsibility and citizenship
Institutional Strategic Goals
- Support student success to foster retention, progression and graduation
- Promote teaching, research, and creative excellence
- Strategically expand undergraduate and graduate enrollment
- Strengthen economic and community partnerships
- Invest in faculty and staff to maximize their potential
- Promote a culture of inclusiveness of people and ideas
- Enhance physical, technological, and financial infrastructure to support our mission, vision, and values
- Improve efficiency and effectiveness of institutional processes and systems
The University of Southern Mississippi is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award bachelor’s, master’s, specialist’s, and doctoral degrees. Degree-granting institutions also may offer credentials such as certificates and diplomas at approved degree levels. Questions about the accreditation of The University of Southern Mississippi may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).
Routine inquiries about the institution, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc. should be addressed directly to The University of Southern Mississippi and not the SACSCOC Office.
The accreditation of all campuses related to The University of Southern Mississippi is dependent on the continued accreditation of the parent campus. All campus sites, regardless of location or mode of delivery, are incorporated in the institution’s self-assessment and its determination of compliance with the standards.
SACSCOC accredits the institution as a whole and not specific degrees or programs.
Below are the names and links of program-level accrediting agencies: