May 18, 2024  
2023-2024 Graduate Bulletin 
2023-2024 Graduate Bulletin

University Facilities and Student Services

Parking and Transit Services

Vehicle Registration

The University utilizes a license plate recognition (LPR) system on all University owned and controlled properties. License plates are used to verify that a vehicle can park at a particular location on university property. Faculty, staff and students are allowed up to four vehicles registered to their virtual permit; however, only one vehicle is allowed to park on university property at any given time.

Virtual Parking Permit is an electronic authorization for an individual to park a vehicle on a university campus or teaching/research site in a specified parking zone. (See Section A, subsection A.6 for further reference)

ECitation (citation) is an electronic citation via email (with the exception of non-registered vehicles). Non-registered vehicles will receive a citation on the windshield indicating a violation has been issued.

Faculty, staff and students are required to register online at to obtain a parking permit. Parking registration is an individual responsibility.  Parking permit are issued to individuals, and ownership is nontransferable. By obtaining a permit, the permit holder agrees to become familiar with and abide by the parking and traffic regulations.


A visitor is any person, other than a faculty, staff, student or contract employee, who parks a vehicle on a campus on infrequent occasions. Visitors must obtain a visitor pass and park in legal parking spaces. Visitors who park frequently on our campuses or teaching / research sites must register for a parking permit and are subject to all regulations herein. Visitors can also retrieve a visitor pass online @ $2.00 per day. 

Hattiesburg Campus

  • Visit the information Booth on East Memorial Drive (Front entrance of campus) or the Department of Parking and Transit Services in McLemore Hall, First Floor. Visitors must show a valid driver’s license to obtain a visitor pass.

Parking and Transit Services
118 College Drive #5149
Hattiesburg, MS  39406-0001






Career Services

Career Services assists students in finding meaningful career paths, developing job-seeking skills, and connecting with employment opportunities to become successful professionals.

The following services are available:

Career Consultations — Assist in clarifying possible majors and career paths. Information on required education in discussed along with an action plan.

Individual Career Assessments — Assist individuals in determining careers of interest by measuring interests, skills, personality and values.

Job Search Strategies — We are here to help students with their résumé, cover letter, job-seeking skills, company research and interviewing.

Online Resources — We have formed multiple partnerships with companies that provide career-oriented software tools. These tools can be found on our website and pertain to the following:

  • What can you do with your major
  • Career exploration
  • Career planning and education needed
  • Targeted job searches (by title, company, alumni, contact, location, etc.)
  • Interview practice
  • Federal job search

Student Employment — Job Location and Development is a federally funded program that locates and develops off-campus job opportunities for Southern Miss students regardless of financial need. The JLD coordinator assists students with tailoring their resume for part-time jobs and helps prepare students on how to interview for part-time positions. The JLD coordinator can be reached at

Career Services/JLD
McLemore Hall 125
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive #5014
Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001

Health Services

Moffitt Health Center and Pharmacy can provide students, faculty and staff with urgent care of primary care services. MHC and Pharmacy accepts and files most insurance.

MHC provides a wide range of services, including laboratory testing, X-ray, pharmacy, and health educational services. MHC is staffed by board certified physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants. MHC is located on the bottom floor of Scott Hall. During the fall and spring semesters, MHC hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Friday. MHC is open during summer semesters also. There is a $20 charge for every visit for students unless a student has the USM student insurance. There are additional charges for labs, x-ray, pharmacy, etc. Patients can pay with cash, credit card or charge to their student account. Staff and faculty pay at the time of visit and we will file on insurance. For more information, visit our Web site at

MHC and Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Healthcare Inc. and is a member of the American College Health Association. For more information, please call 601.266.5390.



Student Accessability Services (SAS)

In accordance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (1990), Southern Miss does not discriminate on the basis of disability in the admission or access to, or treatment or employment in its programs or activities. Reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities are provided through Student Accessability Services (SAS). SAS verifies eligibility for accommodations and works with eligible students to develop and coordinate plans for the provision of accommodations. Eligible students include those who are enrolled in degree and nondegree programs offered by Southern Miss, are considered qualified to meet all university program requirements despite a disability, and meet the definition of disability as defined by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the ADA. To receive accommodations, students must self-identify with SAS.

Accommodations may include exam modifications, assistive technology, accessible housing, document conversion, interpreters, note-takers, and readers. In order to receive appropriate and timely accommodations, eligible students should contact SAS before the semester begins to file an application and submit documentation of the disability for review. SAS is committed to creating a positive campus environment where students with disabilities are encouraged to pursue careers on the basis of personal interest and ability.

For an application and disability documentation guidelines, please contact Student Accessability Services (SAS), 118 College Drive #8586, Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001, call 601.266.5024 or visit the website at To register, complete the online application (available at and submit documentation confirming the diagnosis of a disability. SAS will then contact the applicant to schedule an intake interview. Individuals with hearing impairments should use the Mississippi Relay Service at 800.582.2233 (TTY) to contact ODA.

Union Complex (Thad Cochran Center, R.C. Cook University Union, Hub)

The Union Complex (Thad Cochran Center, R.C. Cook Union and Hub) is the center of student activities at Southern Miss. Whether you are looking for a great place to eat, host a meeting, or find a quiet nook to study - the Union Complex is your place. The R.C. Cook Union and Hub house the Union and Programs department’s administrative offices, student organization offices, Seymour’s food court, game room and more. Come have lunch at Seymour’s and then alleviate some of those studying woes with a game of pool in the Game Room or watch TV in RC’s Lounge.

The Student Activities Hub (located inside the Hub) is the heart of student organizations and serves as your one stop shop for student involvement. This area is home to the Office of Leadership and Student Involvement, as well as the Student Government Association, the Southern Miss Activities Council, and the Afro-American Student Organization. Down the hall, you can visit the Center for Community and Civic Engagement to get connected with community service opportunities. If you’re looking for a way to leave Southern Miss better than you found it, The Hub is where you want to begin. There are over 200 student organizations on campus with more created each year that are here to enhance your college experience.

The Thad Cochran Center houses Barnes & Noble @ Southern Miss, the Fresh Food Company, post office, Image Center (copy services and photo services), ballrooms, meeting rooms, etc. The facility also houses both the offices of Event & Conference Services and Eagle Dining. Event Services manages the reservations for these facilities, including Danforth Chapel, Centennial Green, Weathersby Lawn, Shoemaker Square, Union Plaza, and Trent Lott National Center. For our students, alumni, and community, the Union Complex is your every-occasion venue full of southern charm and modern elegance.

Campus Recreation

Through recreation, sports competition, special programs and wellness activities, Campus Recreation provides a safe environment while enhancing sportsmanship, leadership and quality of life for a diverse university community. Housed in the Payne Center, Campus Recreation provides an opportunity for the campus to take advantage of a variety of services and programs that include personal trainers, intramural sports, aquatics, fitness classes, sport clubs, outdoor programs and informal recreation activities.

The Payne Center offers indoor recreational facilities, which include four basketball/volleyball courts, six badminton courts, three championship racquetball courts, an international-size squash court, a climbing wall, a six-lane heated indoor pool (the M.C. Johnson Natatorium), a one-eighth-mile indoor exercise track, sauna, free weights, spinning studio, cardiovascular workout room,  equipment rental and is fully accessible to the disabled. Activities and programs available include more than 40 intramural sports events from flag football to dodgeball, and sport clubs such as table tennis, badminton, men’s soccer, men’s rugby, women’s lacrosse, quidditch and ultimate frisbee. The Personal Training Office provides services that include fitness assessment, and personal training for the university community. Functional team training is also available through a F45 Fitness Studio located inside the Payne Center.

Campus Recreation offers outdoor facilities such as the Intramural Fields, the Bruce and Virginia Wilgus Fitness Trail, Pride Field, the Challenge Course at Lake Sehoy and outdoor sand volleyball courts. For more information regarding Campus Recreation programs and services, call 601.266.5405 or visit




Student Counseling Services

The primary mission of SCS is to provide quality services to USM students by promoting sound mental wellness and the coping skills necessary for successful pursuit of their academic and life goals. Students seek services for a wide variety of reasons, including depression, anxiety, relationship concerns, past or recent trauma, eating disorders, substance abuse, and difficulty adjusting to university life.

SCS works in conjunction with USM Moffitt Health Center, Center for Behavioral Health, Center for Family Therapy, and various community partners to provide comprehensive mental wellness care. SCS services include individual and group therapy, guided self-help, consultation, crisis intervention, and skills workshops. Referrals for psychiatric services are also available if needed.

SCS collaborates closely with the Department of Student Affairs staff to provide rapid and effective intervention to students in distress through the University CARE System.

Professional staff at SCS include an outreach coordinator, licensed clinician and up to four psychology, social work practicum, and public health student interns that may provide services under the supervision of a licensed provider. All services provided are confidential and free of charge.

SCS is located in Bond Hall, South East Side. Hours of operation are between 8am – 5pm, Monday through Friday. Walk-in hours are available daily, call 601.266.4829 for specific times. Crisis services are available outside of normal business hours by calling the on-call counselor at 601.606.HELP (4357) or by calling the University Police Department, 601.266.4986. You may also access our web site at for additional resources.

Veterans Affairs

Veterans Affairs are administered through the Office of Financial Aid. Assistance is given to veterans and dependents of eligible veterans to enable them to derive the maximum benefit from their veterans’ educational entitlement.

Office of Online Learning


The University of Southern Mississippi offers two types of distance education coursework that students may choose from for credit toward degree programs: online courses and IVN courses. There is no designation on student transcripts between courses taken in a traditional face-to-face setting and those taken through Online Learning. Workloads for distance courses will be the same to those courses taken in traditional on-campus format; students should not expect distance courses to be “easier,” “less demanding” or “less challenging” than traditionally delivered courses. In fact, some students may find the fact that they are not meeting with their instructor “in person” is a barrier, and they may find it difficult to manage their assignments and time wisely. If you are interested in an online degree, please feel free to visit the Web site for more information:

Online Courses: Fully online courses are those whose traditional meeting times are replaced by online resources 50 percent or more. Online courses are available to any student who has access to a computer, printer and Internet service provider. Components in online courses will vary, depending on the tools and services the individual instructors wish to use and provide. Faculty will choose how to administer student evaluation; tests may be online, given face-to-face in a group setting as arranged by the instructor or given in a proctored environment as arranged by the student. These are issues that will be addressed in the course syllabus. For a list of online courses, please refer to for the appropriate semester list.