The University offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in public relations and advertising. The degree is designed to teach students the creative and business practices of the industry. Graduates are prepared for professional positions as advertising layout artists, copy writers, media planners, account executives and advertising sales positions in mass media, advertising agencies and advertising departments in business and industry or for careers as public relations practitioners and consultants in business and industry, nonprofit organizations, educational institutions and governmental agencies.
Public Relations and Advertising BA Degree Requirements (120 hours)
Public Relations and Advertising BA Semester Guide
Availability: Hattiesburg Campus
Program Academic Policies and Requirements:
- See University Academic Policies and Requirements
- Minimum grade of C or higher required in major coursework.
- Minimum program GPA of 2.5 is required.
- Students majoring in public relations and advertising are required to have a minor and may not pursue a minor in journalism.
- Public relations and advertising majors and minors are required to own a specifically equipped laptop computer. Specifications are available through the school website.
Internship: The optional internship course (MCJ 429 ) provides supervised experiential learning in a professional setting. Eligible students must submit an internship application prior to the midpoint of the semester preceding the requested internship. Students should meet with the school's internship coordinator to discuss internship options.
Accreditation: The program is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (ACEJMC).