Admission to the Master of Education in Counseling and Personnel Services with an emphasis in school counseling program is selective, and multiple criteria are utilized.
School Counseling for Licensed or Certified Teachers Emphasis
Admission is for a summer cohort. This is a hybrid format. Courses are offered for the summer term partially online with face to face instruction on the Hattiesburg campus. Online courwework, practicums and internships are completed during fall and spring semesters.
- A Class A Standard Teaching License Certificate and at least one year of full-time teaching experience in any K-12 school (copy of teaching license required for student)
- GRE - Verbal, Quantitative, Writing (within past 5 years) official scores
- Three references from persons qualified to assess the applicant’s readiness for graduate study (one must be from immediate supervisor)
- Personal statement (essay)
- Evidence of practicum site availability
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.25
- Applicants should check with their respective state department of education for school counseling licensure requirements
Plan of Study. Students must submit their signed, official Plan of Study form to the Graduate School by the end of the first semester they are enrolled. The Plan of Study forms are available at www.usm.edu/graduateschool/planofstudy.php - click on the "Plans of Study" link.
Responsible Conduct of Research Training
All graduate students must complete the RCR training modules required by the Graduate School and their departments the first semester they are enrolled in graduate school. The RCR policy and training information are found on the Graduate School web page – www.usm.edu/graduateschool. Contact the Dean of the Graduate School if you have any questions regarding the policy or training information.
This emphasis requires 36 semester hours of prescribed coursework. Successful completion of a comprehensive exam, practicum, and a 3.00 GPA are required for graduation.
Continuous Enrollment Requirement: Students must meet the requirements specified in the front section of this Bulletin for continuous enrollment.
Application for Graduation: Application materials must be submitted one semester prior to graduation.
Graduation is based upon
- completion of required coursework in respective program;
- satisfactory completion of the comprehensive examination and portfolio;
- satisfactory performance in the counseling practica; and
- a 3.00 GPA.