Dec 01, 2020
Health administrators are charged with coordinating a wide variety of activities crucial to the effective and efficient delivery of health services and programs. A health administrator plans, organizes, coordinates, and supervises the delivery of services within health care organizations, including hospitals, mental health clinics, medical group practices, long-term care facilities, rehabilitation centers, insurance and pharmaceutical companies. Students earning a MPH degree find positions in the above areas as well as with consulting firms.
The MPH Health Policy and Administration emphasis is delivered in an online format and not a traditional classroom setting. The degree can be completed in 15 months using a rigorous, concentrated format that includes four classes each semester (including a summer semester). For information on this degree program, contact the School of Health Professions Graduate Coordinator.
In addition to meeting the Academic Requirements and Procedures , applicants must have completed an undergraduate degree. Application for admission to the MPH program must be submitted to the Graduate School and through the School of Health Professions.
Applications are due August 1 for fall semester and December 15 for spring semester. The School of Health Professions Graduate Admissions Committee evaluates applications. Factors in the decision for admission include GPA, GRE scores, writing skills demonstrated in the essay, and reference letters from persons qualified to assess the applicant's readiness for graduate study.
A complete application consists of a graduate application, a statement of purpose, GRE or GMAT scores, transcripts, resume, and three letters of reference. International applicants also must submit a TOEFL/IBT score.
- Minimum GPA is 2.75 on the last 60 hours of coursework.
- Minimum TOEFL/IBT score is 79 for international applicants.
- Students considering the MPH/MBA Dual Degree option must also apply to the MBA program. The GMAT and the GRE can be submitted for admission into both programs.
Program Requirements and Academic Policies
Students must complete an approved internship (six credit hours/280 fieldwork hours), pass comprehensive exams, and have a 3.0 GPA in all coursework to graduate.
See General Degree Requirements and General Academic Information for other program requirements and expectations.
Course Requirements (45 hours)
Masters in Public Health/Masters in Business Administration Dual Degree
The MPH/MBA dual degree was developed for those students interested in pursuing higher-level careers in health administration and/or consulting. Students must apply the MPH and MBA programs separately and meet the admission criteria of each program.
Pre-Program Requirements for MBA
Students must apply the MPH and MBA programs separately and meet the admission criteria of each program.
- BA 301 Statistics (pre-requisite Math 102)
- Computer Literacy
- MAT 102 Business Calculus / Applied Calculus
Business Core Prerequisite Requirements
For students who do not have an undergraduate degree in business:
- ACC 200 & ACC 300 Introduction to Financial Accounting/Managerial Accounting
- ECO 201 & ECO 202 Principles of Macroeconomics/Principles of Microeconomics
- FIN 300 Principles of Finance (pre-requisites MAT 102, ACC 200, ECO 201 and ECO 202)
- MGT 300 Management for Organizations
- MGT 325 Operations Management (pre-requisite MGT 300)
- MKT 300 Principles of Marketing
MPH/MBA Dual Degree Course Requirements (78 hours)