Medical Laboratory Science (MLT to MLS completion) BS Degree Requirements (124 hours)
Medical Laboratory Science (MLT to MLS completion) BS Semester Guide
Availability: Online 100%
- See University Admission Policies
- This degree completion plan is available for medical laboratory technicians (MLT) who have completed an accredited MLT associate of applied science degree and certification as MLT(ASCP)cm. Students who meet these criteria are eligible to complete coursework to earn a BS degree and have the possibility for earning the MLS (ASCP)cm credential.
Program Academic Policies and Requirements:
- See University Academic Policies and Requirements
- With the exception of MLS 301 and MLS 301L , MLT students who hold an associate of applied science degree from an NAACLS-accredited MLT program and certification as a medical laboratory technician (or equivalent) from a nationally recognized certifying agency are not required to take the MLS courses prior to the practicum, as long as their transcripts document equivalent courses taken as part of the community college program and a grade of C or above was obtained in each MLT course.
Licensure Requirements: Although Mississippi does not have licensure for medical laboratory scientists, other states may require a state license. Graduates of the program who intend to practice outside of Mississippi should consult the state licensing board in the state in which employment is sought.
Internships and Career Development:
- All students in their senior year will be required to complete a 20-week clinical session at one of the affiliated hospitals. Please see the school for details.
- Graduates of this accredited program are able to sit for the national certification exam offered by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) to earn the credential MLS (ASCP)cm. This certification provides graduates with job opportunities in clinical laboratories.
Accreditation: The MLS program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences, 5600 N. River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018-5119