Ray G. Newman, Ph.D., Chair
118 College Drive #5122
Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001
Ahua, Anderson-Lewis, Carver, Downey, Kamali, McGuire, Mitra
The Department of Community Health Sciences was created as an organizational focus for expanded activities in community health. The department offers a Master of Public Health (MPH) degree, a MPH/MBA dual degree in conjunction with the College of Business, and a MPH/ANT MA dual degree in conjunction with the College of Arts and Letters. Emphasis areas include epidemiology and biostatistics, health education, health policy and administration, and health policy and administration (executive format). Faculty and staff are involved in interdisciplinary research and demonstration activities in areas such as health care access, health promotion, community health workers, impact studies, health care provider utilization, rural health, cancer control, and occupational health and safety. The Master of Public Health program seeks to prepare students for leadership responsibilities in public and private health settings that focus on improving quality of life through instruction, research, and community service. A 3.0 GPA is required for graduation. The MPH program is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health.
Interdisciplinary Minor in Gerontology: The department participates in the interdisciplinary minor in gerontology and the graduate certificate in gerontology. Specific requirements and courses available for the minor and certificate can be found under the Interdisciplinary Minor in Gerontology and Graduate Certificate in Gerontology headings in the College of Health section of this Bulletin.
Offerings for Non-Majors
A number of courses offered within the Department of Community Health Sciences do not have prerequisites and are excellent choices for electives:
Degree Descriptions/Career Opportunities
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Health Education
- Health Policy and Administration
- Veterinary Public Health: Admissions in this emphasis area are suspended for this academic year.
- Master of Public Health and Master in Business Administration Dual Degree
- Master of Public Health (Epidemiology and Biostatistics Emphasis) and Master in Anthropology Dual Degree
- Master of Public Health (Health Education Emphasis) and Master in Anthropology Dual Degree
- Occupational Health and Safety: Admissions in this emphasis area are suspended for this academic year.
- Public Health Nutrition: Admissions in this emphasis area are suspended for this academic year.
ProgramsMaster of Public Health