Mary Lux, Chair
118 College Drive, Box 5134
Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001
Bryant, Hall, Handley, Henderson, Lux, Swann, Warden
A student majoring in the Department of Medical Laboratory Science should consult the degree plan for required courses.
Admission to Junior-Level Courses
- A minimum Degree GPA of 2.0 (USM coursework and all transfer coursework, excluding remedial courses) and a C or better in MAT 101 , CHE 106 , CHE 106L , CHE 251 , CHE 251L , and (BSC 110 , BSC 110L , BSC 111 , BSC 111L , and BSC 380 , BSC 380L ) or (BSC 250 , BSC 250L , BSC 251 , BSC 251L , and BSC 381 , BSC 381L ).
- MLS 202 and MLS 203 are prerequisites or co-requisites for all junior-level MLS courses.
- Students must make a C or better for degree completion in all MLS courses.
- Other prerequisites and corequisites for MLS 302 /MLS 302L , MLS 306 /MLS 306L , MLS 309 /MLS 309L and MLS 315 /MLS 315L are stated in the course descriptions found in this Bulletin.
Progression Standards in the Junior Year
- A student must make a C or better in junior-level MLS courses (MLS 301 , MLS 301L , MLS 302 , MLS 302L , MLS 306 , MLS 306L , MLS 309 , MLS 309L , MLS 315 , MLS 315L )
- A student may repeat one junior-level MLS course without permission from the department faculty to improve the grade.
- A second repeat of junior-level courses will require specific permission of the faculty. To obtain permission, the student must present a justification in person before the faculty of the department. A favorable majority vote of the faculty is required for permission to repeat and continue as a major.
Admission to the Senior Year
During the junior year, the student will apply to the department for admission to the senior year. Students should contact the Medical Laboratory Science department for the application procedure.
- A student must obtain a minimum Degree GPA of 2.3 (USM coursework and all transfer coursework, excluding remedial courses) and science GPA of 2.3.
- Science courses used to calculate the science GPA include all BSC, CHE, MAT and MLS courses in the curriculum.
- Professional liability insurance, physical report, and hepatitis, tetanus, MMR vaccinations (unless physician indicates contraindications) are required.
- Application completion, successful completion of all courses in the curriculum, and demonstration of qualities and attitudes that are necessary to develop as a competent professional are required.
- If a student has a felony conviction, the student may not be able to complete the degree because the student may not be able to perform the clinical experience.
- When qualified applicants exceed class size, selection will be based upon GPA.
The senior year consists of two phases:
- Phase I, two semesters on The University of Southern Mississippi campus
- Phase II, a 20-week clinical session at one of the affiliated hospitals.
Progression Standards in the Senior Year
Consult the Medical Laboratory Science Student Policy Manual for progression standards and policies for the senior year.
Forrest General Hospital: Thrash, Cole
Memorial Hospital at Gulfport: Safley, Weaver
Singing River Hospital: Levesque, Holland
St. Dominic-Jackson Memorial Hospital: Wood
VA Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System: Fuller, Gethers
Wesley Medical Center: Byrd, Kratz
The Department of Medical Laboratory Science program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences, 5600 N. River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, Illinois 60018-5119. Upon successful completion of the program, students receive the Bachelor of Science degree in medical laboratory science and become eligible to take national certifying examinations.
Regardless of courses taken previously, if English is not the native language of any student, evidence of English proficiency must be provided prior to admission into the senior year. The English Language Institute (ELI) English Language Proficiency Examination requirement is "Proficiency II" and is preferred by the department. Alternately, an internet-based TOEFL of 71 may be accepted.
With the exception of MLS 301 and MLS 301L , MLT students who hold an associate of applied science degree from an NAACLS-accredited MLT program and certification as a medical laboratory technician (or equivalent) from a nationally recognized certifying agency are not required to take the MLS courses prior to the practicum, as long as their transcripts document equivalent courses taken as part of the community college program and a grade of C or above was obtained in each MLT course. MLT students must successfully complete university and college core requirements.
Essential functions, the nonacademic standards that a student must be able to master to participate successfully in the program, are available upon request from the department office and are on the department Web page at www.usm.edu/medtech. During the first advisement session, the essential functions are automatically provided to medical laboratory science majors.
Phlebotomy Certificate Program
The department offers a phlebotomy certificate program composed of an online didactic course and a practicum at affliated facilities. Applications for this program can be obtained from the department.
Master of Science Degree
For information on the Master of Science degree, please consult the Graduate Bulletin.
ProgramsBachelor of ScienceCertificate